Q and A from our first day
- Where is the best spot to do studio homework?
A. The second floor of the Making Center in 2 West 13 and areas tucked away in the hallways in the UC. Some students prefer the basement of the UC dorms.
- Intern chances?
A. Career Center on the 2nd floor of 2 W 13th
- Design Awards Resources?
Parsons will send out design award resources as will other companies who send out announcements to the Faculty.
- Where can I sign up for social justice clubs early in the school year?
A. I am putting you in touch with Tamara Oyola who oversees the social justice hub. email@example.com
- Is minoring a good idea for getting jobs later on (or is it not worth it?)
A. Yes, minoring is a terrific idea. The more you study, the more versatile you are in the art, design and business fields.
- Where are the cheapest fabrics sold?
Fabric.com, Spandex House, Zarin Fabrics, Mendel Goldberg Fabrics
- Favorite fabric shop? (other than mood).
A. Elegant Fabrics, B&J Fabrics, Day by Day Fabrics
- Where can I find eco-friendly fabrics?
A. honeybegood.com, Etsy, fabric.com
- Where can I buy the cheapest film in the city? Where can I develop my film for the lowest price in the city?
A. The cheapest ones I know are in Brooklyn. However, there are a couple in NYC. Accurate Photoshop and Sammy’s Photo Lab
- What are the best NYC spots to take family visiting?
A. My favorite spots to take family when they visit are Times Square, Grand Central Station, Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum, The High Line, The East Village, The Chelsea Market, Staten Island Ferry
- Which neighborhood in NYC is the safest place to live in?
A. A few of the safest neighborhoods to live within NYC are Sutton Place, Battery Park City, Tudor Hill, Carnegie Hill, Roosevelt Island
- Where I can find good, cheap, vegan food?
A. Peaceful Cafe, Buddha Bodai in China Town, Chloe.
- Where can I find really good (not expensive) Mexican food?
A. A restaurant near Parsons called El Cantinero and another called Tortaia. Both are located on University Place.
- Where is the best “go-to” coffee shop/restaurant in this area of the school? (The village, or Downtown area.)
A. Joe’s coffee shop. Taboubette, Vapiano, Joe’s Pizza, Saigon market. Mc Dougal street has a lot of restaurants and others on 6th avenue that accept New School cash.
- How can I grasp the opportunities about art and fashion in New York? Open Artist Studios?
The listings are often updated http://www.artinnewyorkcity.com/category/open-studio-2/
www.barefootstudent.com for job listings
- Best museum?
A.The Museum of Modern Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, Brooklyn Museum, The Cloisters.
- What is your personal artistic style and favorite medium to work with?
A. My personal art style (link) ranges from representational and social realism for my illustration clients, decorative for my apparel and accessory line to surrealism for my personal art style. My favorite medium to work with is watercolor.
- How long did it take you to feel comfortable with directions and not getting lost after moving to New York?
A. I would say about a month. I first traveled with friends from school on the subways then bravely ventured out on my own.
- Where is your favorite place to go for inspiration?
A. (It depends on my time and location) The Rubin Museum, The Brooklyn Museum, The Brooklyn Botanical Garden, The Wanted Design Store at Seaport, various open studio events.
- What is your favorite spot to visit in New York City?
(Hum, hard to narrow down) The Rubin Museum, The Frick, Central Park, The Apple Store in Grand Central, The High Line, Brooklyn Botanical Garden.
- What’s your favorite restaurant in NYC? I love to find new placed to eat and hang out with friends 🙂
A. My favorite restaurants in the area around Parsons are Spice, Bar 6, Union Square Café.
You should also check out the answer to #14 above about the “go-to” restaurants.